Beautiful Berry-Fig DessertBy: Sheila Reynolds
This fig berry cream dessert recipe is as beautiful as it is delicious! The fresh strawberries compliment nicely with the fig and cream sauce. Figs are a fun surprise ingredient to most people as they are not used very often, but absolutely should be!
- Fresh figs, sliced
- Strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 fresh vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tbs. bourbon
- Cinnamon sticks
- Star anise
- Chocolate, for garnish
- Place the fruit inside individual serving dishes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the heavy cream over low heat. Add the vanilla beans, one cinnamon stick and two to three star anise and slowly bring it to a simmer. Do not use high heat – it will scorch the cream.
- Remove the cream from the heat. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until fluffy. Add a ladle-full of the hot cream to the bowl, whisking constantly, and then add this back in to the remaining cream. Place the pan back on low heat and cook for six to seven minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and strain the sauce, or pick out the star anise and cinnamon.
- Top the fruit with the warm sauce. Garnish each dish with additional cinnamon sticks and star anise, topping with chocolate.